This is an invitation for you to become an elder in our church. Some of the things we do are:
- Conduct a Deacon's Service at wakes
- Take care of Jo Ann's Pantry which includes going for food, restocking shelves and feeding the needy
- Run the Deacons' Diner at the Annual Holiday Fair
- Host the Deacons' Luncheon once a year so that all church members can socialize
- Prepare communion
- Change paraments
- Prepare and conduct the Easter Sunrise Service and make and serve breakfast after the Service
- Distribute Thanksgiving food baskets
- Have representatives on Nominating Committee
- Send out remembrances to shut-ins
Each deacon is assigned a parish. We send birthday cards, get-well cards, and make calls or visits to keep
in touch with members.
THE BOOK OF ORDER OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (USA) STATES FOR THE OFFICE OF DEACON:
"The office of Deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of sympathy, witness and service after the
example of Jesus Christ. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly
and sisterly love, warm sympathies and sound judgment should be chosen for the office."
"It is the duty of Deacons, first of all, to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to
the friendless, and to any who may be in distress. They shall assume such other duties as may be
delegated to them from time to time by the session."
Characteristics of nominees for church office include: strong commitment to Jesus Christ as evidenced in commitment
of their lives to the church and the world; a love for the interest in people; a mind open to the views of others;
an ability to listen; common sense; and a willingness to seek God's healing for the future of our church.
AS A DEACON OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF AVENEL, RESPONSIBILITIES/REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Be a member of the church
- Worship regularly
- Attend Deacons meetings (2nd Tuesday of each month)
- Plan and participate in special events
- Serve on commissions/committees, if requested
- Be available for homebound visitation and communion serving
Sound like a lot of work? It may be, but we are answering Christ's call to be His servants, and we are
always blessed by His service.